Monday, October 22, 2007

Evacuation

I'm tired and nervous this evening. Fires are raging, uncontrolled throughout San Diego county and though we are currently several miles from any of the major blazes, we still had a scare of our own this afternoon. We were just contemplating going for a swim, when a fire (source unknown)ignited the trees along a wall bordering our apartment building. We had less than 5 minutes gather our children and belongings, pile into the car, and get out.* Gratefully, it was quickly contained and tonight we are feeling tremedously blessed to be safely back home. *For a more detailed report, I'll refer you to Aaron's blog.

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Michelle, I'm glad you're all okay and that your place is safe. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Geeze! Me too!

R* said...

I'm glad you're safe! Were the kids nervous?

Michelle said...

Rachel, it took my about 5 minutes to figure out who the heck you were. I've got it all put together now though. Welcome to the blogging world. =)

The kids were a little shaken and asking a million questions (but why is the fire going to burn all of our things? - are we going to pack all of our things? - was that police man mean? (because he was yelling to get out)). They are fine now though, and sick of watching the "fire show" on TV.

)en said...

aye aye aye! scary stuff. So, do you now know what you would grab if there was a fire in your house? (isn't that the classic question they ask in young womens... and you're supposed to say "my scriptures!" "my journal!") :)

R* said...

five minutes? muahahahha! i love it. let me guess, you had to scroll down about 9283457298375 times until you saw a picture (albeit one disguised with sunglasses, too).

jen, i never did answer those questions right.

Michelle said...

Yes, that's exactly what I did Rachel. Sheesh.

Steph Kjelstrom said...

Glad you are okay! We heard parts of Irvine were on fire too. Hope there's no permanent damage to your lungs!

Kar said...

Michelle, I logged on to Aaron's blog to read all about it. That is crazy. It really made me re-think the positioning of our 72-hour kits. (They're currently buried in our storage room somewhere.) Have the fires died down yet? P.S. Aaron is a funny blogger. I laughed my guts out at that entry about the triple-decker In-N-Out burger. He puts things in a funny way.