Sunday, October 11, 2009

Feeling My Age

Yesterday was a difficult day for me; a day I have been dreading all year. Yesterday, I turned 30. Sigh....

But, I suppose if one must turn 30, there's no better day to do it than on a birthday. I do love my birthdays, and even this otherwise odious occasion was made enjoyable with a family trip to the Calico Ranch apple orchards in Julian.

It was a beautiful day and a lovely drive (gratefully, given that we were stuck behind 2 different cars going, ironically enough, 30 mph the whole way up the 79 - sheesh).

This late in the season, the orchard was pretty well picked over, though we managed to find a few trees with apples on the lower branches. The tops of the trees, on the other hand, had a nice selection, and when even Aaron couldn't reach, we had to enlist a little help.

Obviously, some were more willing to oblige us than others.

In the evening, we celebrated with sticky toffee pudding.* I just hope it doesn't end up on my hips, since I'm sure my metabolism has already slowed dramtically given my old age. Oh, well. I can always diet tomorrow...apples anyone?

*I've never been one for traditional birthday cake, at least not since I was a kid. Recent years have included such celebratory confections as brownies, cheesecake, molten chocolate cake, apple crisp and sticky buns, among others. Mmmm...

11 comments:

Connie said...

Well happy birthday! Looks like you had a great time with the fam. That pudding looks so YUMMY too!

Rifle Fam said...

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you survived since I'll be joining you soon. :) Looks like a fun day!

Michelle said...

Wahoo! Happy birthday! If you can turn 30 then maybe I can! ahha. Remember when were were saying how weird it would be to be 20....twenty...and then Agatha was like, 'It isn't that bad.' ahah. Agatha.

Michelle said...

Michelle, you can do ANYTHING.

Agatha...whatever happened to her? And that dog she hit.

Misty said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like a fun day. I turn 30 soon too...ugh! And no traditional cake for me either...cheesecake usually.

Angelyn Sears said...

Happy Birthday! You are so funny, at least you had a nice 30th birthday. Hey could I get that recipe for the pudding? We are not a big cake family either, even the kids would rather pies and ice cream sundaes over cake.

Cottrells said...

Happy Birthday! 30 looks great on ya!

Heather K said...

Happy 30th!!! I am scared.....mine is in June! Sounds like a fun day and the dessert looked really good!

)en said...

Agatha hit a dog?

(happy bday, MAC!)

Michelle said...

Thanks, Jen.

Yeah, she ran over a dog. I can't remember the details of the story though. Maybe Michelle does...

Jared said...

Being in your 30s is way better than being in your 20s. Your 20s is wide open, but full of drama of big decisions. Being in your 30s is about a more stable life and being settled. I'll take my 30s over my 20s any day of the week...