Sunday, September 28, 2008

Big Girl, Little Hair

Pregnancy can drive people to do desperate things. Some women eat dirt. Others feel the need to wash every wall in their home. Me? I chop my hair off.
I started growing my hair out over a year ago when I couldn't decide how I wanted to cut it. My goal was to let it go until it was long enough to donate to Locks of Love, with enough left over to reach at, or just above shoulder level.
I don't know if it was the summer heat, the need for something on my body to start shrinking, or
some other unknown factor, but about 3 weeks ago, I couldn't take it anymore. Locks of Love requires at least a 10 inch donation, and I didn't want my year-plus to go to waste, so in a moment of hormonal insanity I decided I didn't care how short it would end up. I was done with it. Here are the results:
Before.
(Sorry, I couldn't find a better picture - I try to avoid the camera these days.)
After.
(I made the kids pose with me for moral support. And to hide my belly.)

It has been......OK. The day I had it cut, I came home feeling free, but I wasn't really thrilled with it. I like my hair a little longer. And I'd rather not feel like I resemble a mushroom from the neck up. Even still, I have no regrets.

Luckily, this week has been much better. The cut is starting to grow on me, enough that when I look in the mirror I don't really mind it anymore. See? Look how happy I am....and big.....happy and big*:

By the way, my due date is tomorrow (another reason I am smiling).

*As Emily likes to point out frequently, "Mommy has a big tummy. I have a little one."

14 comments:

Michelle said...

PS I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the spacing on this blog to come look like it does when I type it in. Ah!

Tips, anyone?

Shelly said...

You look great. I always want to chop my hair when it starts to get hot in the summer. And I never have enough time to accumulate the required 10 in for locks of love. Good for you! Good luck. I hope the baby comes soon!!!

Michelle said...

How cute! I very much like your hair!

The Rogers said...

Hey Michelle!!! WE haven't seen you guys in so long and we miss you! Your hair looks soooo good. I really like it. I finally posted some pics of me pregnant on our blog if your interested. (willandlahrenrog.blogspot.com) Hope you are feeling ok and that we get to see you soon!!!!

Misty said...

I LOVE it! It is awesome!

The spacing issue: a few ideas:
(1) Under Settings, then Formatting, choose "no" on "convert line breaks"
(2) it helps to choose a wider template like Herbert or Jellyfish. You can have three pictures across on the wider templates where you can't on the the skinnier ones
(3) Even if you don't change your template, when you upload pictures, choose the "none" layout so you can move them where ever you want.
(4) You can "preview" before you post to make sure it looks right.

We still have a skinny layout, but have done the other things and I usually don't have too much of a problem. Good luck!

Steph Kjelstrom said...

I like your hair like that!! Good luck with the delivery, push hard! Oh, I just remembered I'm suppose to look in my Settlers game...gotta write that down!

Michelle said...

Misty - thank you, thank you for the tips! How's your new place? I was just thinking about you the other day.

Steph - don't worry about Settlers. If you get a minute, fine, but otherwise, no big deal.

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks very nice. You could be having a baby right now as I'm typing this...but I see you are online so maybe not...anyway, good luck with everything.

)en said...

Michelle, you crack me up. I love that you just went for it. HIgh five. To avoid mushroom hair: Layer. Make it an a-line cut, shorter in the back. You'd look super cute, though you do now as it is. good luck with everything!!

Kar said...

The new haircut looks insanely cute. I like it on you. And I can't believe you're already due! Holy crap, that flew! My spacing gets messed up, too. I've learned to let it have its way. I'm too tired to try to figure out how to fix it.

Heather K said...

You are so cute! I can't believe how pregnant you are! It flew for me! GOOD LUCK!!! You and Britt both chopped your hair off and look as young as you did in High School. It also makes your eyes sparkle alot!

Cynthia Johnson said...

beautiful!

Rifle Fam said...

Cute haircut! Hope to see big baby news soon! Good luck with everything!

Brooke said...

Michelle, you're beautiful with long or short hair, pregnant or not. I didn't know you were so close--good luck with everything!