Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harried Existence

Allow me to begin this post by apologizing for neglecting my blog in the weeks since its debut. I've been planning on adding something for a good two weeks now, but I haven't had a moment to spare. Now, before you feel slighted, let me assure you I have a valid excuse. It is no secret that we Clarks are big Harry Potter fans. Consequently, I've spent the last 2 months - and particularly the last two weeks - completely engrossed in rereading the entire Harry Potter series in preparation for the big release of the final installment this past Friday. In fact, I finished book 6 only hours before Book 7 hit the shelves. Then my copy arrived in the mail Saturday afternoon, and naturally it has required my complete attention ever since. (Hey, a girl's got to keep her priorities straight!) Aside from neglecting my blog, I thought my obession had little effect on anyone else, other than our family having peanut butter sandwiches for dinner several nights in a row, and the housekeeping falling a bit by the wayside. Apparently however, I have been mistaken. It seems my mania has been rubbing off on my children. Over the last couple weeks, Jared has expressed on more then one occasion excitement about being able to read about "Harry Potter and the dragon when [he] gets bigger," and I have strong suspicions that Emily - bright, little creature that she is - has been sneaking out to the bookshelf by night to study up on all things Harry Potter. In fact, we expect she'll be receiving an owl from Hogwarts any day. Either that, or howler from the Ministry of Magic,* threatening imprisonment for her recent, well-cast Cruciatus curse: Gratefully though, I finished Book 7 late last night, and with a little luck things will be back to normal by the end of the week. Out of respect for those who are still plugging along, I will simply say that Rowling did not dissappoint! And with Harry Potter out of my life now, all that remains is for me to do is catch up on little sleep and a few chores, and resume life as usual. And it would hurt for me to wrestle that wand away from Emily. *Though I suppose being a US citizen they wouldn't actually have jurisdiction over her.

10 comments:

)en said...

Brilliant. Love it. THe title, everything. I have been anxiously waiting for some writing from you since your emails are so fun to read and you did not disappoint. :)

Also, huge HP fan as well. We are trucking along at a slower pace since I'm reading them outloud to Sean. He doesn't read fiction (i know, sad) so i've read all of the HP's to him. It's fun but goes against my natural tendency to read straight through and finish in a matter of hours. Stupid tradition!! j/k. ;)

Michelle said...

Jen, you are too kind.

It's funny, I've been so into reading Harry that the day after I finished reading I was almost depressed. I've invested so much into the series and now it's over...sigh...

So, if you're reading them all out loud, are you on Book 7? I tried to convince Aaron to do the same with our copy of the book so we wouldn't have to share. He completely refused, so I just bought my own copy. =)

Brooke said...

I was on about page 200 when I got home from work yesterday, and foolishly started reading. Read straight through till I finished at 11:30. I now feel the same sense of loss that you do, MA. But, perhaps there will be other series...

Lovin' the posts MA. Keep it up! Aaron's blog is good reading too.

Michelle said...

Yeah, Aaron and I were up until 3 a.m. on Monday. At about 9:30 I hit a point where I knew there was no turning back. Plus I had been scared to death that I was going to talk to somemone that was going to spoil it, so I knew there would be little sleep that night.

A friend in our ward had it ruined on Saturday afternoon when she was in line at the grocery store and some boy blurted out the ending. So cruel!

I need a new book now. Any suggestions?

)en said...

everyone's reading the Vampire books and are loving them. I'll probably read those next.

I'm reading a couple fun ones. Inkheart, and the sequel Inkspell, by Cornelia Funke.

)en said...

Yeah, we're almost done w/book 7. I started to read HP to him when we were dating. Our courtship came to an abrupt halt when i realized he'd never read them so it had to be remedied straightaway if we were to get married.

Fortunately we started early enough that when the books i think 5, 6 and 7 came out, we were caught up and ready.

Anonymous said...

I have two great books to read: Civil Procedure by Yeazell and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure with Select Statutes by Yeazell. Good reading...

Michelle said...

Yeah, actually Aaron and I were think of reading Civ Pro out loud to the kids at bed time. It's never too early to start, right? I think they'll like it.

Michelle said...

Yeah, actually Aaron and I were think of reading Civ Pro out loud to the kids at bed time. It's never too early to start, right? I think they'll like it.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it